If you find a web link that no longer works or has moved, please email email@example.com
Please refer to “guild web resources page” in your subject line. Thanks!
KNITTING TECHNIQUES/TEACHING KNITTING
- Color Your World: the Art of Handpainting Yarn an article by Elaine Eskesen of Pine Tree Yarns. Includes a bulky mitten & hat pattern.
- Knitting Jogless Stripes in the Round Tips to reduce the “jog” when changing colors when knitting in the round.
- KnittingHelp.com over 150 free knitting videos, free patterns, abbreviations explained, etc. Option to buy a CD with the techniques. Also sign up to join in her forums: General Knitting, What’cha Knitting, how-to-questions, pattern central, blog threads, knit-alongs and buy/sell/swap!
- TECHknitting™ Awesome website. Click on the Subject Index and search for ‘knitting’ to find related posts.
- The Walker Treasury Project color photos showing stitch patterns from Barbara Walker’s Treasuries.
- Socknitters Home Page tons of great stuff for sock knitters here! Also sign up for their email list.
- The Copyright FAQ For Knitters
- Library Law
- U.S. Copyright Office
- Stanford Copyright & Fair Use Guide
CHARITY KNITTING/FREE PATTERNS
- DoRagPattern Chemo scarf pattern for warmer weather. Also check out the other patterns at www.thinkingknitter.com.
- Fiber Gypsy
- Garnstudio.com/Drops Design Free knitting patterns Carol Hurt recommends this site, many patterns have crochet touches added – be aware that crochet terms used for UK are different than US, make a note!
- Hello Yarn Handspun Yarns Shop, blog, free patterns.
- www.headhuggers.org –Knitted & crochet (& 2 sewn) patterns for chemo hats.
- Knitting Fairy Unusual patterns for knitting & crochet.
- Knitting on the Net
- Knittingfool.com Free interactive sweater pattern generators.
- Lion Brand Lots of free patterns from Lion Brand yarns.
- london beanie Basic man’s hat, also good as a chemo hat if made in soft yarn.
- MarnieMacLean’s website– some inventive free patterns.
Project Linus website (community service – making blankets & afghans for children who are seriously ill, traumatized or otherwise in need).
- Ravelry: browse patterns for knit and crochet include “free” in your search terms.
- Shawl Ministry.com Make a prayer shawl to bless someone in need or to mark a special occasion.
- http://www.sheeptoshawl.com/charity/ Discussions, ideas for charity knitting, knitting lessons & patterns.
- Socks for Soldiers Make some socks for soldiers or contribute to their cause. See their website for details, knit with black yarn (or white to be dyed later) or other colors for leisure socks.
- WarmUpAmerica.org knit 7 x 9″ squares for volunteers to sew into afghans for those in need.
- http://projectlinus.org/ Gives information about Project Linus and some links for blanket patterns (knitted, crocheted, quilted, etc.) http://www.craftown.com/knit/afghans.htm http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns-afghans.html (Sarah Bradbury’s webpage)www.ravelry.com has tons of free patterns free knitted afghan patterns
- Cast On Magazine (The Knitting Guild of America)
- Creative Knitting magazine
- Family Circle Easy Knitting
- INKnitters Magazine For machine or hand-knitters.
- Interweave Press sourcebook Lots of links for yarn shops, fiber festivals, retreats/workshops, tours, travel opportunities for textile lovers, etc.
- Knitter’s Magazine Online Knitter’s Magazine and XRX Publications.
- Knitting Daily an online knitting community/pattern library from Interweave Press. Includes free patterns & daily newsletter.
- knotions magazine
- Mani Di Fata
- Rowan Yarns
- Twist Collective
- Canadian Living : Knit & Crochet
- Vogue Knitting
- YARN Magazine online site for Australia’s yarn magazine.
KNITTING RELATED BLOGS (web log/journal)
- digibabe knits this blogger also includes lots of links to Pattern Errata in books & magazines – good to know if you’re having a problem with a pattern!
- http://www.knitluck.com/ – includes comprehensive review of interchangeable needles, book reviews, learn to knit suggestions and more.
- /(p[eu]rls of wisdom)?/ GSLKG member Timothy Hunt’s Blog
- See Eunny Knit! Alot of good technical info here.
- Stitches of Violet
- Wendy Knits! Knitting and spinning.
- The Knitting Fiend
- Three Bags Full – this blog shows a helmet liner in progress, she also started a Yahoo groups knit-along Helmet Heads K*A*L.
- Yarn Harlot a blog by the author of At Knit’s End, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.
- Knitting Blogs this gives you links to quite a few knitting blogs.
HOW TO FIND A KNITTING GUILD OR GROUP NEAR YOU
- Textile Links.com Guild Listings
- Meetups Worldwide
- Knitting-About.com Knitting Guilds list
- Knitting.About.com Communicating With Other Knitters
- Knitting/Crocheting Clubs – MapMuse.com
- The Knitting Guild Association Find A Guild Note: not all guilds are associated with TKGA so this link shouldn’t be your only search engine.
- Ravelry: Guild Groups Search or browse groups by location, start a group, etc. on Ravelry: Groups
- Start a Local Guild/Club | TKGA
- Wool Works: knitting guilds Note: these don’t get updated often as it is a volunteer run website.
HOW TO FIND A YARNSHOP/ONLINE SHOPS/DESIGNERS
Best to call ahead before visiting stores!
You can also look at local guild’s websites for shop listings!
- Greater St Louis Yarn Shops our guild webpage lists local St. Louis and Metro Illinois shops.
- Ravelry: Designer Search many designers have patterns on ravelry and often are ravelry users as well.
- Yarn Shops – MapMuse.com
- SweaterBabe.com yarn shop directory
- Wool Works: knitting stores
- Ravelry: Yarn index you can find lots of info about various yarns on Ravelry, you can also search pattern ideas on what to use with a particular yarn you own, search for yarn you need more of (in other ravelry members stashes) or if you have a pattern you need a substitute for search by your pattern name to see what other knitters have used for that yarn.
- Yarn Info Finder at international.elann.com gives basic info about various yarns & suggests substitutions available on elann.com.
- yarndex.com provides info about various yarns, availability, colors, gauge, yardage, weight, care, etc. Knitters can provide reviews and comments on yarns.
- A Guide to Removing Wine, Blood, Lipstick and Other Stains!
- This is a list that is designed to help people larger-than-average make changes to patterns. They answer questions in a Daily Digest that knitters may present. There is a Gallery of beautiful projects, a page of knit-a-longs and many other interesting items on this site.
- http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Knitting Free patterns, lessons, knitting groups online, links, knitting forum, chat board.
Berroco is an excellent yarn company with wonderful pattern support. If you sign up for their e-newsletters, you will receive many free patterns. It’s a great website with perfect colors showcasing their yarns – very easy to move around.
- Do It Yourself Network – Knitting
- Gateway Chapter of the American Needlepoint Guild An active needlepoint guild, meets September through May in St. Louis with informal stitch-ins during the summer.
This is an excellent resource for beautiful lace items. Jackie E-Schweitzer presents beautiful patterns and designs for scarves, socks, shawls, and Mobius smoke rings.
- Jean Moss Handknits Designer Jean Moss will be presenting workshops at our guild March 2006.
This site is owned by Jill Vosburg, a designer in California. Jill designs patterns that are totally different from any you’ve seen. She’s a master at the modular concept of knitting.
- knittersanonymous.com Find out how your level of knitting addiction & become a member of knitters anonymous! Click on the merchandise link for fun stuff to buy.
This site has lots of info, free patterns including ones from the Knitlist, stitch library, knitting articles, etc. Listings of knitting guilds also on this site.
- Knitting Gypsy – Fiber Link Tons of info! Connecting Fiber Enthusiasts with the Web & each other. Links to guilds, email lists, shops, patterns, techniques, Liturgical Threads, etc. Also The Fiber Gypsy – creative knit patterns.
Free knitting clip-art.
- www.knittingtraditions.com Beth Brown-Reinsel’s website, Beth presented workshops for our guild in Fall 2002.
creative free-form knitting & crochet.
- www.philosopherswool.com Two-handed fair-isle video, sweater kits, wool, buttons, books, etc. A videoclip showing technique is available for highspeed users.
- www.schoolhousepress.com Founded in 1959 by Elizabeth Zimmermann, now run by her daughter Meg Swansen. Books, kits, yarn, excellent videos by EZ & Meg, buttons, info on Meg’s camps/retreats, etc.
Designer Candace Eisner Strick’s website. Candace presented workshops for our guild in Spring 2003.
The Knitting Guild Association. Offers TKGA Conventions & Conferences, correspondence courses, Master Knitters’ classes, online lessons & patterns, etc. Membership in TKGA includes a subscription to Cast-On Magazine. Also lists knitting guilds that are members of TKGA.
Lucy Neatby’s website. Lucy presented workshops for our guild in Spring 2004.
- Weavers’ Guild of St. Louis A non-profit guild of contemporary fiber artists. Ongoing study groups include topics such as spinning, tapestry weaving, knitting, color & dying. Members can sell & exhibit their work in the annual fall sale.
- www.woolworks.org This volunteer-run website has a lot of information although it isn’t updated often. There are listings of knitting guilds (see resources on the site), be aware they may not always be current.
- http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html – This section lists the standard yarn weight system in use. Make sure to browse through the whole site for valuable information on sizing, chart symbols, abbreviations, etc.
- A beginner’s guide to simple sewing stitches
- 11 Reasons Knitters Are Actually Wizards