If you find a link that no longer works or has moved, please let us know.
- KnittingHelp.com free knitting videos, free patterns, abbreviations explained, etc.
- TECHknitting™ Awesome website. Click on the Subject Index and search for ‘knitting’ to find related posts.
- The Walker Treasury Project color photos showing stitch patterns from Barbara Walker’s Treasuries.
- Ravelry: browse patterns for knit and crochet include “free” in your search terms.
- Shawl Ministry.com Make a prayer shawl to bless someone in need or to mark a special occasion.
- Socks for Soldiers Make some socks for soldiers or contribute to their cause. See their website for details, knit with black yarn (or white to be dyed later) or other colors for leisure socks.
- WarmUpAmerica.org knit 7 x 9″ squares for volunteers to sew into afghans for those in need.
- The Knitting Guild Association offers TKGA Conventions & Conferences, correspondence courses, Master Knitters’ classes, online lessons & patterns, etc. Membership in TKGA includes a subscription to Cast-On Magazine. Also lists knitting guilds that are members of TKGA.
- www.schoolhousepress.com Founded in 1959 by Elizabeth Zimmermann, now run by her daughter Meg Swansen. Books, kits, yarn, excellent videos by EZ & Meg, buttons, info on Meg’s camps/retreats, etc.
KNITTING TECHNIQUES/TEACHING KNITTING
- Color Your World: the Art of Handpainting Yarn an article by Elaine Eskesen of Pine Tree Yarns. Includes a bulky mitten & hat pattern.
- Knitting Jogless Stripes in the Round Tips to reduce the “jog” when changing colors when knitting in the round.
- The Copyright FAQ For Knitters
- U.S. Copyright Office
- Stanford Copyright & Fair Use Guide
CHARITY KNITTING/FREE PATTERNS
- Coupon Follow – Free Crochet and Knitting Patterns
- DoRagPattern Chemo scarf pattern for warmer weather. Also check out the other patterns at www.thinkingknitter.com.
- Fiber Gypsy
- Garnstudio.com/Drops Design Free knitting patterns Carol Hurt recommends this site, many patterns have crochet touches added – be aware that crochet terms used for UK are different than US, make a note!
- Hello Yarn Handspun Yarns Shop, blog, free patterns.
- Knitting on the Net
- Knittingfool.com Free interactive sweater pattern generators.
- Lion Brand Lots of free patterns from Lion Brand yarns.
- london beanie Basic man’s hat, also good as a chemo hat if made in soft yarn.
Project Linus website (community service – making blankets & afghans for children who are seriously ill, traumatized or otherwise in need).
- www.heartstringsfiberarts.com – This is an excellent resource for beautiful lace items. Jackie E-Schweitzer presents beautiful patterns and designs for scarves, socks, shawls, and Mobius smoke rings.
KNITTING RELATED BLOGS
HOW TO FIND A KNITTING GUILD OR GROUP NEAR YOU
- The Knitting Guild Association Find A Guild Note: not all guilds are associated with TKGA so this link shouldn’t be your only search engine.
- Ravelry: Guild Groups Search or browse groups by location, start a group, etc. on Ravelry: Groups
- Ravelry: Yarn index you can find lots of info about various yarns on Ravelry, you can also search pattern ideas on what to use with a particular yarn you own, search for yarn you need more of (in other Ravelry members stashes) or if you have a pattern you need a substitute for search by your pattern name to see what other knitters have used for that yarn.
- Weavers’ Guild of St. Louis A non-profit guild of contemporary fiber artists. Ongoing study groups include topics such as spinning, tapestry weaving, knitting, color & dying. Members can sell & exhibit their work in the annual fall sale.
- http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html – This section lists the standard yarn weight system in use. Make sure to browse through the whole site for valuable information on sizing, chart symbols,
- 11 Reasons Knitters Are Actually Wizards